1) How did you get into directing?
Whilst studying for a Media degree at university, I was in and out of ad agencies working for free on work experience placements. After graduating I spent five years at BBH London as a commercials producer before switching to production company side, heading up a music video department for 2 years. Being around other directors and overseeing projects from initial idea conception through to execution gradually led me to directing my own projects.
2) What is your most recent project?
I’ve just finished up this music video for UK artist Frances for her beautiful track “Don’t Worry About me” - https://vimeo.com/165020803
3) What is the best part of being a director?
Collaborating with creative people who deeply care about what they do. I’m also lucky to work with some of the most talented, generous and enthusiastic crew in the industry.
4) What is the worst part of being a director?
Getting ridiculously excited about an idea/script...to then not being awarded the job.
5) What is your current career focus: commercials & branded content, TV, movies? Do you plan to specialize in a particular genre—comedy, drama, visual effects, etc.?
I’m keen to continue to work closely with actors through more narrative led pieces.
6) Have you a mentor and if so, who is that person (or persons) and what has been the lesson learned from that mentoring which resonates with you?
I learnt a lot when I moved to BBH London. I worked alongside head of production Davud Karbassioun, who focused greatly on every intricate detail that went into creating commercials, I like to think that resonates in my work.
7) Who is your favorite director and why?
I have a lot of respect for the work Alejandro Iñárritu has put out over the last 10-15 years.
8) What is your favorite movie? Your favorite television/online program? Your favorite commercial or branded content?
Favorite movie...either “La Haine” or “To Kill a Mockingbird.” “Forrest Gump” is up there too.
Favorite commercial...I’ll go with Ringan Ledwidge’s beautiful “Rewind TV” spot for Orange.
9) Tell us about your background (i.e. where did you grow up? Past jobs?)
I was born and raised in London, UK.
My career went a little like this…
- bar man
- tennis coach
- shop assistant
- nightclub promoter
- production assistant
- assistant producer
- head of music videos / executive producer